Tuesday 16 February 2016

Because There is Something Romantic About a Hand-made Valentine

Granted my kid is two and has no idea what Valentine's Day is, I still thought it would be more romantic if "we" made her valentines for preschool ourselves. Here's what "we" made in a few easy steps! (Please note that "we" will be in quotation marks whenever I was the one that did most of the work.)


  1. Cut out two hearts - I used my Silhouette for this and it was super easy. I found a pattern that had a scalloped and a regular heart all in one. I used solid cardstock for the regular inner heart and a variety of patterned cardstock for the scalloped heart. I then glued the regular heart on top of the scalloped. 
  2. Stamp your images - The Close to My Heart stamp I used was a promotion a few years ago but I can't stop loving the cute little owls. Glacier was my colour of choice for the tiny heart background piece and Archival Black was used for the "To/From Box" and the adorable baby owl. 
  3. Cut out the images - I used the Silhouette to cut out my squares and fussy cut (using my own hands) the owl. 
  4. Attach to hearts - And we're almost done! As a treat for K's valentines, we attached a small heart sticker sheet to the back of each card with a little Zot (glue dot). K legitimately helped with this part. 
Since it is Frugal February and all, I was happy to say that these valentines cost us...$0! Woot woot! I love being able to use some of the many craft supplies I already have and not having to enter Walmart or Dollarama with two kids to buy anything is a bonus for me. 

Although K's participation in this craft was a bit limited I still wanted her to take some ownership over her valentines. Is that silly? Possibly, but even doing something as small as sticking the stickers on the back taught her that these were hers and created an opportunity for us to talk about this holiday and what giving them to her friends was all about. 

Here are the Close to My Heart products I used to make this craft.

"Whoo's Your Valentine" Stamp Set, Archival Black Ink, Glacier Ink
Sprtiz Cleaner, 2x2 Stamp block, Non-stick Micro-tip Scissors,
Stamp Scrubber

No comments:

Post a Comment