Tuesday 9 February 2016

Because We Need to Eat - Feb. 08-11

When Mark and I first got married we started meal planning for the week. I would have to say that this is the one habit that we've been super consistent with doing the last four years. Once K started eating solid foods I became really interested in feeding her yummy and mostly healthy dishes.

I'm not my mother. She can just look in the fridge and pull together an amazing meal. I'm also too chicken to try to do that and much prefer following a recipe. (It's the whole "I like to follow the rules" issue I have). One thing I'm not afraid of doing, though, is trying a new recipe and my Pinterest boards are full of recipes that I want to try and have tried. I also have a few cookbooks that I love and a few other cookbooks that I'm going to try some recipes from before I declutter them for good. 


Each week, if all goes as planned, I will post my meal plan. I'm extremely lucky that Mark likes to cook and volunteered (or was volun-told, I can't remember) to plan and cook for us on the weekends. The added bonus I have is my mom. She lives nearby and we will often head over to her place for lunch and/or dinner sometimes multiple times a week. Yes. I am spoiled. K often gets a variety of fruit, granola bars, and the ever-controversial goldfish crackers for a snack so I will just post the special snacks that I try to make her. 

Mark has dubbed this month "Frugal February" so we've been trying to eat from the freezer to keep our grocery bills to under $100 a week. Before I had C, my mom and I spent a day making freezer meals and I ended up with 18 of them. We're still working through them but this week all our meals are freezer meals. I will post links to the recipes I found on Pinterest below this week's meal plan. 


Meal plan for two adults and a hungry toddler. Includes dinner, lunches, and snacks.

Ham & Broccoli Quiche with Raw Veggies & Dip
My mom made this quiche for us. I usually make a straight broccoli and cheese quiche from the Baby-Led Weaning cookbook but she had some leftover ham that she donated. This week we had a leftover orange pepper and some snap peas from last week's shop so we munched on those with some Ranch dressing for dip.

Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes & Broccoli
I haven't tried this meatloaf yet. It is currently sitting in my crockpot and was a frozen brick when I put it in. My fingers are crossed that it turns out alright, It is slathered in The Keg BBQ sauce and ketchup so how bad can it be? This is Mark's comfort food and I sometimes let him add some seasoning to the mashed potatoes when he get's home from work. The broccoli I usually just steam.


Macaroni & Beef with Frozen Veggies
I made two of these on our freezer cooking day. I wasn't blown away by it but I think I may add some more cheese this time. Maybe a combo of cheddar and mozzarella. The frozen veggies just need to be used up. I have a few bags in the freezer so I'll just see how the mood strikes me. 

Italian Turkey Soup with Garlic Bread
I really liked this soup. Up until November I hadn't really made soup before. I know...shocking. I had enough trouble making soup from a can as a teenager so I've stayed away from it. We'll probably eat this on Friday since that's the day that we usually resort to fast food since both Mark and I are exhausted by the end of the week. I've been trying to have easy-to-make meals or pizza so that I won't give in to temptation. 

I made a bunch of these a few weeks ago and threw them in the freezer. K really likes them, especially if I let her dip them in ketchup or mustard. I try to include a veggie for her at lunch time and sometimes it's a frozen one, like the cauliflower in this case. 


English Muffin Pizzas & Peas
I love English muffin pizzas. I really do. And I'm talking just pepperoni and cheese, here. Although if we have a green pepper I'll put that on, too. The peas are frozen but are pleasing to K and I force myself to eat them with her when really I just want the English muffin pizza. 

I have not made these before but they seem healthy and I have a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer.

Banana Bread
This recipe comes from the Annabel Karmel's Eating for Two cookbook which I was supposed to cook from when pregnant and did not. So to justify it's existence on my cookbook shelf I'm making banana bread this week. I also have about three bags of frozen bananas so those need to be used up, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment